Window
western food in china?

have you ever been to china and ate western food or sth? what does it taste like? is it not good enough as it in your country? maybe starbucks, kfc, Mcdonald's, and Pizza hut are alike?

what about others?

(is there anything wrong with my sentences? if is, plz help me point it out. thankyou)

Apr 20, 2015 3:10 AM
Comments · 10

The one thing that surprised me in China was that Pizza Hut was sort of a fancy resteraunt there and prices were almost twice those of in the US. 

Another thing to keep in mind is that even when just looking at fast food chains, the shittiest ones tend to be the most widespread. The ones that exist in only a few states in the US, while still not particularly healthy or high quality, tend to be a lot better (places like In-N-Out burger, Whataburger, Taco Cabana, Schlotzky's...) 

April 20, 2015

I've found that a lot of Chinese people genuinely think places like McDonalds and KFC represent "Western food". I've even heard of foreigners in China being invited to "Western restaurants" with their friends, only to find they were talking about McDonalds or Puzza Hut. I talked to a Chinese person once who really believed that McDonalds was an expensive, high quality restaurant (I'm not joking) and had no idea it was considered unhealthy.

"Fast food" in the West is synonymous with "cheap, crap and unhealthy food". It IS very popular, but only because it's so cheap and widespread. When you can have a quick, $3-5 lunch at McDonalds or a $10-20 dollar lunch anywhere else, you're more likely to go for the cheaper option, especially when you know exactly what you're getting at any chain restaurant. Fast food restaurants are a poor representation of Western food even in the West.

Also, Starbucks came to Australia but ran out of business because Australians hated their coffee!

April 20, 2015

I just checked your profile. You're from Shenzhen which should have lots of western restaurants ( I don't mean fast food restaurants as you mentioned). In Nanjing, there's a Shanghai Road that is full of restaurants which sell western quality food. They are expensive and taste good, but not all of them are healthy. Find such a street in your place. Good luck!

April 20, 2015

From my experience, many places are rather terrible in China. That includes McDonalds, Yoshinoya (both way better in Hong Kong!). Pizza Hut is bad anyway, no matter where.

A non-CN places that in CN is Watami (same as HK or Japan). Paulaner is good too. However, expect good non-CNfood in China to be rather expensive. 

Non-CN food that is usually good and good priced: Korean places.

This said, in CN I eat mainly CN food. Cheap and good enough. 

April 20, 2015

everything seems fine, but maybe the end is kinda weird.

Are alike? Not sure what do you mean by that. Maybe you are questioning If they have similar taste in their country?

April 20, 2015
Show more