Esteban
Does anybody know Chile?

hi, I'm from Chile and I Really want to know if somebody has been here and please tell me what do you think about our Spanish. 

Apr 20, 2015 4:20 PM
Comments · 11

Qué me queréi decir poh? Suena bacán pero aún no he ido. Cachái? ;)

By the way, conocer doesn't really translate in this particular case. 

April 20, 2015

In relation to the conocer comment, I think what would sound more natural is "Does anybody know much about Chile" I included the "much" as if you just said "Does anybody know about Chile" then it would sound like you are asking if we have heard of Chile rather than specific things about the country. You could also relate the title more to your question like "Has anyone been to Chile" Or "What are your thoughts on Chilean Spanish?"

I have never been there but when I have met people from Chile in Australia I have found their Spanish difficult to understand compared to people from other Spanish speaking countries. I can't say I have met a lot of people from Chile though so I may have a different experience next time.

April 23, 2015

El acento de Chile sin duda es uno de mis preferidos (-:

April 22, 2015

It's kind of hard to explain. I've just noticed that spanish speakers use conocer with places in a way that English speakers wouldn't use "to know". In some cases conocer would roughly translate to "get to know" in English like "did you get to know Chile pretty well while you were there?", but even that isn't exactly a perfect translation of conocer and in some cases you can't translate it like that at all. Usually you just have to say it a different way in English. Like "has anyone ever been to Chile?"

April 20, 2015

I disagree with Mike: "conocer" can be translated as to know, to be familiar with, to be acquainted with, etc.

But we do use 'know' with locations.  For example, I lived in New York for several years and I know NYC very well.  

I think you meant to say, "Is anyone familiar with Chile?"

When you say "does anyone know Chile?" it sounds like you are asking if anyone is extremely familiar with the country (like a tour guide, etc.).

May 6, 2015
Show more