Lachesis
What do you think about dubbing?

In France, we dub almost every movies, series and cartoons. Is it the same in every country? 

Dubbing is a really complex job and I think it's a really amazing process. But I also think that if we dubbed less, french people would be so much more good with foreign languages!

What do you think?

Apr 21, 2015 11:22 AM
Comments · 19

I don't like it at all.

As a language learner, I find it absolutely frustrating. As someone who is trying to watch a film on TV in my native language, I find it an extremely annoying fashion and a harmful one. It hurts both the films and the language. I understand people who can't read have the right to watch the same films I do, but this is not reason enough to spoil the films and series entirely for everybody!

Dialogues sound unnatural. The intonation is wrong, the word order is wrong, face expressions don't match the dialogues' feeling, voices don't match the faces. Directors hire a specific actor/actress for a reason.

The worst part is that people get familiar with the zombie language and they spread it. Especially intonation and placement.

April 22, 2015

In Hungary we also dub every film and series. I like this, since Hungarian dubbing is of really good quality. Many people think that if films were subtitled, people would learn foreign languages easier, but in my opinion if someone wants to learn a language through watching films, they will find them in the original language, the internet is full of them.

April 22, 2015

In the UK, almost nothing is dubbed. I don't think I have ever seen a foreign production dubbed into English.

As English native speakers, we are lucky that we already have more than enough English language productions, mainly from the UK itself and from the USA.

But if a native English speaker wants to watch a film or TV series from a non-English-speaking country, it probably means that this person is interested in the language and culture of that country, and that they will want to watch this production in the original version.

For example, the Paris-based police/legal drama 'Engrenages', shown in French with subtitles, now has quite a cult following in the UK. If it had been dubbed into English (How? With New York accents? Cockney London accents? Quelle horreur!) , nobody would have watched it. It's not the story, or even the visuals, that gives a production like that its unique character - it's the language.

April 22, 2015

but our dubbers are very professional for foreign movies

April 22, 2015

@Benedetta here in Brazil we dub everything too and the titles are invented too... I don't like dub movies , series and cartoons.

April 22, 2015
Show more