Jess
America vs England

If you don't live in America or England, what is your opinion of the two countries? 

How do they differ? How are they the same? What stereotypes do you know? What do you actually know? Do you know any of the language features that differ? 

Just curious, thanks. ^_^

Apr 21, 2015 12:57 PM
Comments · 10

The language differs a lot, as most countries in America speak Spanish, well, one speaks Portugese and two speak English.

April 21, 2015

Ugh! Don't start that. It's rather tiresome. 

April 21, 2015

I like both America and England (although I haven’t been to England/U.K yet…..).

Well in my opinion I prefer British pronunciation in general (since I speak more like an English person rather than an American). However every time I hear an American pronounce the word “aluminium” I cringe inside. I don’t know why it just sounds so unnatural. Then there is the difference in spelling which can get annoying. Especially when Microsoft word by default likes to correct words with –our and –ise endings.

As for stereotypes

In England (/Britain I think) you have chavs. There is also the stereotype that a lot of people speak the “Queen’s English” and that they drink cups of tea with scones. (Either that or Australians just like to annoy the people that move from England to here). I don’t really follow sports but Australia does get very competitive when versing England. So I assume they are also very competitive when playing against Australia in cricket/rugby/Olympics?

In America you have rednecks/hillbillies. There is also the stereotype that Americans are bad at global geography. (Meaning that they can identify their own states, Canada and Mexico but they can’t identify places on a global scale). Also Americans are perceived to be poorer (because of really low minimum wage in hospitality and other menial jobs) as they are paid a lot less compared to other western countries. From my understanding it is customary to tip? In contrast to Australia where hardly anyone tips because they already get paid well.

Well there is heaps more to write but I think that’s what you were looking for.

April 22, 2015

Oh, I see. Well, from US movies it's usually the bad people that speak with a british accent ;-)

Did you watch 'Girls' (the TV series)? That Jessa is just trouble.

April 22, 2015

I'd had a lot of stereotypes about UK and U.S. before I started studying English. 

Firs of all it's differences of language. American English and British English are two completely different language ahahahaha Sometimes I'm really surprised how american people and british people understand each other.

April 21, 2015
Show more