Jennifer Gutierrez
Getting Married!!!!

Hola todos!

I'm getting married next year so I am in the process of preparing for the big day.

Since my mom passed away in 2012, I don't have that maternal piece of the puzzle.  My soon to be mother in law speaks only Spanish.  I would love to involve her in the planning process such as trying on dresses, decorations, etc.as it would be a great experience for her (she has 3 boys, no daughters)..but can't communicate with her.  I would love, love, love to include her as much as possible but would like at least some key phrases that I could start practicing with to build my vocabulary so that this can be an enjoyable time for the both of us.

If you have any suggestions, please pass them along... they will be greatly appreciated!!!!

Thanks,
Jen 

Apr 21, 2015 3:49 PM
Comments · 4

Congratulations on your forth comming marriage. I would suggest that you enroll in a beginners Spanish class if there is one near where you live. You are lucky you have the perfect opportunity to learn Spanish as your future mother in law only speaks Spanish. I would imagine that your boyfriend speaks both English and Spanish, if not he would not be able to communicate with the both you, his mother and yourself. Maybe he could teach you? If your mother in law helped you with some vocabulary it would be a good way to bond.

As well as this website you could try Busuu.com   you can pick up a lot of grammar there.

Kind regards

April 21, 2015

Thank you, Tinea.  I may have to download iTunes.

April 21, 2015

Congrats!!

I used a combination of things to better my Spanish and maybe this approach could help you, but I took classes at the community colleges and then used sites like Quia (flashcards) and Duolingo to help. Also, writing (and getting corrections) on this site seem to be super helpful!! I've made a lot of friends this way and now I chat with them on Skype.

Podcasts are great as well! You didn't say what dialect or nationality she was, but I use Notes in Spanish podcasts on iTunes. The teacher speaks in a Spaniard dialect so do note the differences in pronunciation. The most helpful is having a friend who you can talk to and hang out with that understands your goals and wants to help you achieve them. Try any of those and see how they work for you! And always ask questions! That was quite helpful too instead of assuming the way you say something is right (because I struggled with this for the longest time)!

Good luck!

April 21, 2015

Thanks.  You are absolutely right!  

Having her teach me would be a great way for us to bond.  Never thought of that.  I only thought of being able to communicate with her.

I appreciate the advice!

April 21, 2015