Lucy
How can I integrate into a new environment?

i used to live in China. Now my family move to America. However, I find I can not communicate with these local people. I feel so lonely. How can I integrate into this new environment?

Apr 21, 2015 4:29 PM
Comments · 5

As a stepping-stone, see if there's a language meetup or just a social event in your area. I've used these in my travels just to go out and be sociable.  Look at <em>www.meetup.com</em> or <em>www.couchsurfing.org</em> (I think you'll need to sign up to Couchsurfing, but really I only use it to see what events are happening).

April 21, 2015

If you're a student, I recommend you join some clubs at your school that interest you.  If you're not a student, you will have to look harder, but there are still ways to meet people who have things in common with you.  One website that connects people with similar interests is meetup.com.  You also can look for events at your local library, community center, park district, or whatever else your town has to offer.  I think it's easier to make friends when you share a common interest with someone, and then the friends you make can help you integrate into American culture!

An important thing to know about the US is that multiculturalism is common and welcome here.  If you don't want to integrate into American culture at all, and you'd rather meet other Chinese people, that's okay too.  If that's what you want, you can find out where the Chinatown is in the big city nearest to you, and then find Chinese friends there.

Whatever you choose, good luck!  :)

April 21, 2015

Moving is stressful as it is let along getting to know people, the culture, traditions and so on. My advice - just give it some time.

April 21, 2015

It seems to me that you are not as much alone as scared. Do not afraid of communication. you need to  overcome your emotional stress and simply make friends with native speakers. 

April 21, 2015

From experience: Be yourself. Don't imitate habits you don't yet understand. I find this is very important. Fakes make people unconsciously hostile.

Do not rush friendships but do seek contact with the local people and ask them about their culture. Most neighbours and collegues will try to help and guide you, if you are respectful of their culture. Some people will try to change your mind about your own culture in a harsh way. Avoid those.

Attend local events with someone you feel comfortable with: a family member, for example and treat it like fun holiday time.

Of course you don't have to deny your own culture, just to keep an open mind. I suggest watching lots of local TV and reading the local news.

April 21, 2015