Mario
Is possible to get fluency in any foreign language whitout studying abroad

<em>Hi everyone</em>

i think is posible con get fluency in any language even the most dificul languages like asian languages witout bening in the country, i have been learning english and chinese for many years and i have never been in china and unided states i´m mexican  have never been in other country and i can speak english and chinese. is evident so hear my mexican accent but i can speak it. so the idea i ¡s to create an artificial environment, geting music, read new, see movies in foreing languages... i think is possible to get fluency witout beining abroad...

what do you think??? do you think the only way to get fluency is bening abroad? 

Apr 21, 2015 5:17 PM
Comments · 4

Yes I do, but I must qualify my response.  I think you have the right idea about creating an environment in the language you are studying by listening to music and watching movies, TV, and news in the language you are studying. Add to that reading as much as you possibly can in the language you are studying, magazines, newspapers, novels, stories.  Having said that, my French really improved a lot when I visited French speaking countries and stayed about 3-6 weeks every time.  The more I went there, the more I learned every time.  I never lived in or studied in a French speaking country, and all my studies happened here in Louisiana.  So, yes it is possible to become fluent without studying and/or living in a foreign country, but it really, really helps a lot to visit and stay a while. 

April 21, 2015

I personally don't think so. It depends what you call fluency. To me, accuracy in pronunciation is pretty important. Tone, intonation, accent, etc. are very difficult to grasp if not immersed in the language. Some may say that accent is not part of fluency, but it is in some languages like mandarin and cantonese, where you'd essentially have to guess what the speaker is trying to say based on context if their accent is too heavy. Some people may not even notice they have a heavy accent because they are not used to hearing tones (especially for mandarin or cantonese).

I grew up learning several languages, and while I do not have a problem communicating in several languages in almost any daily situations, I still wouldn't call myself fluent in them because say, I can't understand 100% when I watch the News in that language. However, that may just be my personal bar for fluency being too high.

April 21, 2015

I think you need to live there for a while at least otherwise it would be extremly hard to get fluency 

April 21, 2015

Were you drunk when you wrote this entries? :)

April 21, 2015