Samantha Gomez
I´m hurt ... aparently, to my friends, i´m a dude too

Well, this is hard to said but there it goes. Firts of all, i want to make clear that i´m a girl who doesn´t like wear female close that much, i like videogames very much, the most girly thing that i´ve donne is wear a little bit of makeup and sometimes (sometimes :[) i also wehave like a dude. Well, i think is normal because the mayority of my friends are dudes.. so well... But straight to the point, I was in a small party of one of my friends and i was the only woman! ¡yey! (Not very funny) but anyways i was playing and drinking with them until one of the friends (witch i didn´t know) of the birthday boy asked for me. I started too listen carefully, my friend said to him that i didn´t count because i was a dude more. ¡ A dude more! What do i have to do to be girl in the eyes of my friends? where girly clothes? wehave with more delicacy? Don´t know! I know the discourse of been who you are but in reality it doesn´t apply. How much is the colective image of a girl or boy set in the imaginary of people? and how much of that imaginary is set by the media? The circustances in latin america are different to the rest of the word? is a thing of the thirt, second, first or universe? I know myself, i like boys, i like being who i am and well i know i have deffects but how much of my own image is my own mind and thoughts and how many porcentage is set by the exterior? Don´t know i´m very confused. I think i have an idea for my tesis in the positive part hahaha. Does somebody questioned this topic ever?

Apr 22, 2015 12:53 AM
Comments · 11

Hello Samantha. I know exactly what you are going through. Here in the United States, diversity and being different is usually accepted. There are things that people refuse to accept and look down upon but generally you can be who you want to be, and like what you want to like and find acceptance in the world somewhere. Being a girl who likes things that are typically male-driven is normal. There are tons of girls who like to wear male clothing, play sports, hang out with guys, play video games, etc... I know this, because I am one of them! I am 25 years old and ever since I was around 8 years old, all of my friends were guys. While all of the girls at school were playing with make up, barbies, and going shopping, I was outside with my guy friends riding bikes, playing in the mud and building forts in the woods. The term for this is "tom boy." It's a girl who likes guy-things. You can be a girl who likes being a girl but likes to do things that guys usually do. Some tomboys do like to be girly and wear girly clothes or make up but still like to play sports, video games, etc...

If your guy friends don't see you as a girl, maybe it is because you're part of their group/crew. It's kind of like you're one of their brothers. If you don't want to be seen as a brother to them, but as a girl, you should talk to them. Tell them that even though you like things that girls don't usually like, you're still a girl, you just dress differently and sometimes act differently. As for your female friends, tell them that it's okay to like different things than other people.

April 22, 2015

I'm going to correct your English for you and also give you my opinion.

Well, this is hard to say, but here it goes. First of all, I want to make it clear that I'm a girl who doesn't like to wear female/feminine clothes that much. I really like video games. The most girly thing that I've done is wear a little bit of a makeup and sometimes I also behave like a dude. I think this is normal because the majority of my friends are dudes. So well, to get straight to the point, I was in a small party of my friends and I was the only woman. Yay! It's not very funny but anyways, I was playing and drinking with them until one of the frineds (which I didn't know/whom I didn't know) of the birthday boy asked for me. I started to listen carefully. My friend said to him that I didn't count because I was like one of the guys/dudes. Like a dude? What do I have to do to be a girl in the eyes of my friends? Do I have to wear girly clothes? Do we have to have more delicacy/manners? I don't know! I know the discussion of being who you are and that you should love yourself but in reality that doesn't really apply. How much is the collective image of a girl or a boy set in the imagery of people? How much of that imagery is set by the media? Are the circumstances in Latin America different to the rest of the world? I know myself. I like boys. I like being who I am and well, I know I have defects but how much of my own image is my own mind and thoughts and what percentage is set by the exterior image? I don't know. I'm very confused. I think I have an idea for my thesis in the positive part hahaha. Did somebody else ever question this topic?

April 22, 2015

I read this today, although the author was in a different mindset than you, she still talks about her experience about being "one of the boys", and what it meant for her. I think one of the things that you can take from it is that you will never not be a woman, and while it has a lot of negative connotations, maybe it can help you feel less invisible within your current social group.

http://www.unwinnable.com/2012/07/13/i-was-a-teenage-sexist/

(note, the site seems to be down at the moment, maybe try the link later or tomorrow)

April 22, 2015

When I was younger, I hated the color pink. Now, it's my favorite color. Back then I wasn't that girly at all and to this day I still feel like I'm not 100% girly. I'm still a tomboy, I still do a lot of guy-things and all of my friends are guys, too. I do wear make up and sometimes I do like to dress girly when I'm not at work or lounging around the house.

The important part is to be comfortable in your skin. Wear clothes that make you happy. Take part in activites that you enjoy. Find friends who accept you for who you are, and what you like to do, that like the same stuff as you. As you get older, you'll make new friends and find new interests. You will develop different opinions, feelings, and who you are and what you like now, might not be the same things you will like in 10 years.

April 22, 2015

People all over the world deal with this sort of thing.

I have always had lots of female friends, so the same thing has happened to me once or twice in reverse. It upset me when I was young. The "friend zone" can be a tough place to be.

When I got a bit older, it didn't bother me anymore and I cherish the friendships that I had and continue to have. So all I can really say "It will get better".

April 22, 2015
Show more