Ekaterina 罗清莹
Professional Teacher
Why Chinese students are often takes a foreign name, when they are learning a new language?

Why Chinese students are often takes a foreign name, when they are learning a new language? Is it a kind of tradition?

Apr 22, 2015 5:08 AM
Comments · 19

I think maybe it subconsciously gives them a new (mini) identity, with which they learn a new language. It's a bit like setting up a new business email account with a professional name for a new business haha! It might also be the case that the new name is easier to pronounce in the language they are learning, so when they are conversing with native speakers, it would be easier to use their new name. For example, if you only have a chinese name, native english speakers who only speak english might have a tough time pronouncing it. So adopting an english name might make things easier. That being said, there's absolutely nothing wrong with keeping one's original name when learning a new language! I think it's interesting to learn of names in other languages or names from other cultures. They may be difficult to pronounce, but they make for a great ice-breaker! :D

April 22, 2015

And I won't have one.

haha.

April 22, 2015

Honestly I've never thought about this question. It's just like something very common. Not precisely a tradition, but most of us don't think about it.

April 22, 2015

There are a  lot of 莉娜 in China,张莉娜、李莉娜、王莉娜、杨莉娜,a name should be meaningful and special,chinese parents give their baby a name very conscientiously.I don't think “莉娜”is good enough.If you want I can give you some advices.

April 24, 2015

Cool))) I would like 莉娜 Thank you so much))))

April 22, 2015
Show more