Céliogomesleal
why it´s so hard to learn phrasal verbs ?

phrasal verbs : native in english use to use phrasal verbs naturally and when a student to start study english is not so difficult in the beginning because of english grammer but as soon as him to have a contect with phrasal verbs everything change in his life. so what the students have to do to get along with phrasal verbs ?

Apr 25, 2015 5:16 PM
Comments · 3

I'm with Peachey on this one. Phrasal verbs are all about <em>context</em>. As native speakers, we begin by understanding the contexts, and grow up knowing what phrases are used in which situations. Even before we fully understand what's being said, we're familiar with the context of being disappointed and or let down, for example when a much-awaited trip to the zoo is cancelled because Mum or Dad has to work that day. Then when your parents say 'Don't worry, sweetheart, <em>we'll make it up to you</em>. We'll have an extra special trip next week. With a double ice cream,' you know exactly what they mean. And later, when we find ourselves having to console someone else about a disappointment, we know exactly which phrase to use.

Learners of English tend to approach phrasal verbs the other way round. They focus on the language, not the context. Make up? What does this mean? What's the definition? How do I translate it into my own language? How come 'make up' also means 'invent' (He made up a story) or 'put on lipstick and eyeshadow' ( She made up her face).  No wonder students find them confusing.

So what should you do? For a start, DON'T try to translate into your own language. Don't worry that two seemingly identical phrasal verbs have the same meaning. Don't get obsessed with dictionary definitions. Don't write lists of phrasal verbs and try to 'learn' them. It's a waste of time.

And the DOs? Remember, it's all about context. Best of all, spend time in an English-speaking environment, absorbing how phrasal verbs fit naturally into common contexts. Failing that, watch lots of English-language TV and films. Surround yourself with the contexts, and the language will come naturally.

April 25, 2015

I wonder as well.

Perhaps a student looks for specific, set definitions, whereas phrasal verbs derive their meaning from context.

April 25, 2015

Because structured language learning is still mostly based on a dry grammar and correct pronunciation.

I was taught only basics of the language and then spontaneously and unintentionally continued by myself by reading articles, contributing in forums and watching shows. I have no problems understanding phrasal verbs, while grammar is a different story as I'm using the language by ear, without knowing the rules.

I'm certain that watching shows (try to find interesting talk shows. I'm all for British comedy panel shows) and reading forum posts on a topic you're interested in will help you to solve this problem.

April 26, 2015