Cody
Methods to learning Kanji

What are some methods of learning and memorizing Kanji? Also most Kanji have more than one pronunciation, so how would I know which pronunciation to use? Thanks in advance! :)

Apr 26, 2015 1:43 AM
Comments · 4

When I was learning Chinese, learning the radicals was emphasized. This will lessen the amount of strokes you'll need to memorize. An example would be 休み. The radical is 人 and another part of it is 木. The parts are usually consistent throughout, but unfortunately, the radical isn't necessarily always going to be the same. You'll just have to end up memorizing them. If you look up the specific character in jisho.org, they'll show you the radical and parts. As for the pronunciation, my teacher never gave a definitive answer. I found that just practicing a lot of vocabulary, some of the characters become a bit second-nature. I haven't exactly figured out an explanation for the pattern, but if you practice a lot, you'll catch on the pattern. Good luck!

April 26, 2015

There's a book "remember the kanji" that helps you with the meaning of every kanji. Also there's lots of app that can help you like obenkyo. I'm still trying to find a way to learn the pronunciation tho e.e

April 26, 2015

I'm actually focusing more vocabulary than Kanjis, but I'm still learning a lot of Kanjis, for example after seeing words like 食べる,行く, 来る, 下げる、下りる all the time, I ended learning their 訓読み naturally.

April 26, 2015

You should study hiragana first, before kanji. It would be easy for you to understand kanji if you know hiragana. :)

April 26, 2015