LKImmm
Does cat understand their name?

Since last year, I started raising a cat. It was the first time in my life that I have my own pet. Her name is O-bok which means 5 traditional fortune in our country.
In fact, she was a stray cat abandoned from her ex-owners. They just dumped her on a road, tying her neck up by a thick heavy rope. Fortunately she met me, and we bacame a family.
s
She's calm lovely cat, but I have a few small problems. Can I train her to understand what I say? Like 'Sit down' or 'Stop crying'. And is it possible for cats to understand their name and respond to owners' voice calling their name?

+ She's about 6-months-old

Apr 26, 2015 4:45 AM
Comments · 5

Cats have very sensitive ears. For example, they've been observed to be able to recognise their owner's car by the sound of the engine. My family's two cats could instantly identify the sound of the cat carry unclicking from other side of the house six months after they last heard it (the 'lock' was just two plastic clips).

I'm sure they'd have no problem differentiating different words. I think the problem is more that they'd just ignore you when they're not interested in you. Cats aren't pack animals like dogs are. They can work together for food when they're starving, but otherwise they prefer to be independent while still social. They're a lot like humans in that regard. You have to keep that in mind if you want to train them. They're less likely to look at you as a leader than a supplier of food or company.

They will train YOU though, if you let them. They'll wake you up at the exact time every day and make as much noise as possible until you feed them. They also train you to come running to them from wherever you are to open doors for them when you hear them yowling. If you pat them the wrong way they'll bite you, and will keep doing so until you pat them the way they like.

April 26, 2015

Yes, and it is also:

Do cats understand their name.

or

Does a cat understand his name.

@Louai, it is a language site. So also in discussion you can correct somebody I think. Isnt the goal of the discussions to practice our language skills?

Nevertheless, I think normally a pet only understands the tone of your voice. But if you keep on saying the same words, they might understand that.

Lucky cat that he has found such a caring owner! :-)

April 26, 2015

We had a female cat called Neko, and she knew her name !

I think cat are very intelligent beings.

So when she was outside at night, we would call her and she would come back to sleep at home.

My husband tought her to not touch her plate when he'd say no.

April 26, 2015

Since last year, I started raising a cat. It was the first time in my life that I have my own pet. Her name is O-bok which means 5 traditional fortune in our country.
In fact, she was a stray cat abandoned by her ex-owners. They just dumped her on a road, tying her neck up by a thick heavy rope. Fortunately she met me, and we bacame a family.
s
She's a calm lovely cat, but I have a few small problems. Can I train her to understand what I say? Like 'Sit down' or 'Stop crying'. And is it possible for cats to understand their name and respond to their owners' voice calling their name?

April 26, 2015

Oh sorry, I thought this was a notebook entry. Apologies for the corrections, I am new to this site and I am still learning how to use it.

I think cats can be trained to respond to the commands of their owners, this phenomenon is called Operant Conditioning, it is a method used by Animal Psychologists to train animals.

Check this Wikipedia link to learn about Operant Conditioning: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Operant_conditioning

April 26, 2015