Ana Cristina Silva
Professional Teacher
Learning Article : How Using Prepositions Changes Verb Meanings In Portuguese

Discuss the Article : How Using Prepositions Changes Verb Meanings In Portuguese

<a href='/article/426/how-using-prepositions-changes-verb-meanings-in-portuguese' target='_blank'>How Using Prepositions Changes Verb Meanings In Portuguese</a>

Just like phrasal verbs in English, the verbs "dar", "pasar" and "estar", meaning respectively to give, to pass and to stay, have a whole range of interesting meanings when used in combination with. Read on to learn more!

Apr 28, 2015 12:00 AM
Comments · 10

Really interesting article Ana! The way prepositions changes verbs' meaning is something very useful for the ones that are learning Portuguese.

I am Brazilian and I can say that your highlights on the use of these combinations are the same in Brazil. Only "Dar por" and "Passar-se" have diferent uses. So I think your article does not miss anything, it's for sure a great article.

The other combinations have similar uses in Brazil ("Dar com", "Dar-se com", "Dar para", "Ficar com", "Ficar de", "Ficar em", "Ficar para", "Ficar por", "Passar a", "Passar de", "Passar de … a", "Passar por", "Passar para" and "Não passar de")

April 30, 2015

No artigo, os verbos reflexos aparecem escritos  de forma incorreta, não será possível corrigir?

Também faltam alguns acentos.

<em>Dar-se com</em>

<em>Relacionar-se</em> 

<em>Eu dou-me com</em>

<em>Passar-se, passa-se
</em>

<em>passarás
</em>

December 22, 2017

I'm American, but I've lived in both Portugal (4 years) and Brazil (the last 9 years). "She combined call me" is completely incorrect in English and will not be understood. The context that I find the most in Portuguese is <em>"Ela ficou de me ligar, mas não ligou"</em> - To us, that would be "She said she'd call me". Some people may say AGREE because combinado = agreed, but that sounds a little formal and doesn't quite fit in that context.

If I ever have time, I'll flip my course over for Gringos to learn Portuguese. What I have is the most in depth course design for Brazilians to learn English very quickly and correctly (no more:

<em>"I LOST the bus!</em>

or

<em>"my house STAYS in the street</em>

or

<em>My water BOMB broke.."</em>

or

<em>"HAND JOBS are difficult to find in Brasil"</em> (mão de obra).. hhehe".

Gringos need a better way of learning too.

May 22, 2015

Most of these are definitely specific to Portuguese in Portugal. It would be interesting to do a comparison of how these would be said in Portuguese as spoken in Brazil.

April 30, 2015

I just read the article, and the most interesting is the difference between Brazilian Portuguese and Portuguese of Portugal, I found a lot of differences, in the usage of the verb, grats for your topic, really interesting.

Best regards,

Eduardo A. da Fontoura.

April 30, 2015
Show more