Moa
When people say "I can understand what they say..."

Sometimes I see some people saying they can hear radio or podcasts or tv shows or even musics in their target language and understand what people are saying.

I was thinking about it... and I got a question... Considering that those people don't know neither the sound or the word, how do they understand the word?

Everytime I hear some new "sound" in english, immediately I looking for the word to see which letters that sound is composted, after that I can assimilate the new sound with its word. I need to see how the sound is written.

Do you agree, disagree, with my point? Please give me your opinion. Thank you all.

Apr 28, 2015 12:33 PM
Comments · 3

When I listen to material in Spanish, I can infer the meaning of new words from context.  Even when I listen to material in Korean, I can pick out new words and then look them up in the dictionary just by hearing them.  But the difference between Korean and English is that Korean has a fully phonetic alphabet, so words are spelled exactly the way they sound.  English spelling, on the other hand, is so messy that there are contests among native-speaking children to see who can spell the most words.  Although I am a native speaker of English, if I hear a new English word for the first time I will often guess the wrong spelling when looking it up.

April 28, 2015

I agree with you Amy F.

April 28, 2015

I am not sure what you mean exactly but I had ever hard english native speaker say that she can not understand what singer sing as well.

I think  english is different from east asian. east asian language is one voice one alphabet

but english is not like that sorry I cant say hope you know the meaning

you maybe can see music score

April 28, 2015