Carolina
So many people on this website, but very few language partners.. what do you think?

Hi, Have you found a language partner for you? I haven't. :( I guess the time difference, I don't know... but it's so difficult... If you have had a different experience.. please tell me.. I'm giving up with this website..

Apr 28, 2015 2:45 PM
Comments · 51

That is exactly why if you REALLY want to learn, a language partner (in my opinion) is not so great.They don't really know how to help you improve as a teacher does.I am not just saying this because I am a teacher.I have a lot of experience with this and I know that after the first time all that happens is you run out of things to chat about.I had this problem when I got pen pals for my students at school.The first letters they were very excited but after two or three times they had nothing to discuss.A teacher can guide you to discuss themes or articles and lead you into discussion to help you improve your vocabulary and your grammar.A language partner doesn't know how to do this,or pick up on your mistakes and help you correct them.But it's up to you of course! :-)

April 28, 2015

Hi Carolina

I would say the same thing but "So many people but so few students!" WE are looking for different things. Since I am not looking to learn a language right now ,I am looking for students willing to pay me for my skill and experience as a teacher.You are looking for free language practice ha ha.

Well good luck I hope you find a partner soon.

April 28, 2015

It's best to have a clear and realistic idea of what you can acheive and how you can help.

Language exchange functions as real life practice in listening and talking. A person should not expect a language partner to be a teacher (if he/she is, then you are very lucky!). Nor can that person instantly be a friend. Realistically, how many people do you meet that talk in your own native language and can eventually become your friend? It's not that many.

Just having an interest in languages is not enough. I agree with the partner having some other common interests. It just makes topics easier to talk about.

May 7, 2015

Well, most messages about language exchanges are like "hi, can we be friends?" "Hi, I am a (profession), can we speak english?" or they ask for help in irrelevant languages.

Time zones are also a big problem. There are many students who could  help each other with great results, but they live on different continents and have very different timeschedules.

Another important factor is the language itself. If it's not popular, you are not very likely to find a language partner.

About teachers: some are here to teach only. It is not polite to ask them to help you for free. Others, like me, are also students on italki and would like to make a productive and efficient exchange.

April 28, 2015

I think there are several reasons why very few (or maybe none) people want to be language partners. The main reason is how many people want to study your language. If your native language not as popular as language you want to study, you will have difficulties in finding partners. For instance: there are a lot of Russian people who want to study English, but quantity of native English speakers who want to study Russian is times less. The second reason,I think, is your own personality: if you're able to be interesting for someone you will attract a partner early or late.

I agree with those teachers who posted their opinion earlier, but not completely . The truth is usually situated between two extremities. One of these extremities is studying only with teacher, and the other is having language-exchange partners only. For example I've got three times a week lessons with a tutor, but feel it not enough. I dont want native speaker to explain me grammar or increase my vocabulary. The goal of such conversation it to release my tongue and speak fluent without thinking about grammar.

May 5, 2015
Show more