ahfei
Chinese characters

I would like to ask Chinese learners some qustions about your studying

How do you distinguish  complex chinese characters from simplified characters ? which one do you prefer to learn or use? why?

Apr 28, 2015 3:39 PM
Comments · 6

It depends on you. Just choose the better one.

Simplified Chinese:

Easy to remember; small characters(because for some characters, a simplified chinese character have several different traditional Chinese characters); hard to understand in some situation

Traditional chinese:

Hard to remember; large charaters(but the same vacabulary), easy to understand.

However,once you master one, to master the other one will be very easy.

Just like Taiwanese can read the Simplified Chinese and  Chinese can read the traditional Chinese.

But remember DO NOT use them in the same time except in Hong Kong.

May 23, 2015

I started with traditional so I'm sticking with it for now and I've been told it's easier to go simplified from traditional than the reverse.

Besides the number of strokes, the radicals usually gives me some indication whether the character is simplified or traditional.

April 30, 2015

I usually spot 門 ( 门 ) and I suspect I am looking at a text in traditional characters.

I use the simplified characters because that's what it's taught as official Chinese for mainland China.

Someday I may also learn one or two dialects.

April 28, 2015

I am learning simplified chinese. However I can recognize the traditional chinese word. Maybe because I love to watch Taiwanese drama. 

It is easier to study using simplified instead of traditional one. Even nowadays, taiwanese also start to ise simplified words.

April 28, 2015

I am learning the simplified character, because it's easier to learn. You can distinguish them from the number of strokes. The traditional character are more complicated. For example 'hui' in the simplified is 会 while the traditional character is 會. For me, because i've been learning the simplified character, i will recognize that there are some character that i can't read. Either i've never seen it before, or the character is too complicated. Meaning that it is a writing in the traditional form.

I think it's great to learn both. For example people in Taiwan they use the traditional form of hanzi, and if you can read the traditional form, i think u can read the simplified form, which i personally think is better. :)

April 28, 2015
Show more