[Deleted]
Hi) I would like to clear up some points of education in GB. I will be very grateful if you could help me:)

What do you know about system of grades in the Gret Britain? What is the difference between higher and further education? Why the majority of students of secondary school prefer to pass A-level exam rather than GCSE?

Apr 28, 2015 4:23 PM
Comments · 4

Higher education refers to university-level education.

Further education is a slightly vaguer term, referring to any education which someone has after their compulsory period at school. It can be done at any age, and is often profession-specific. It's equivalent to the American term 'continuing education.'

I don't really understand your question 'Why<em> [do]</em> the majority of students of secondary school prefer to pass A-level examS rather than GCSE?' It isn't a case of preference or choice. All young people in the UK take GCSEs around the age of 16. This is the minumum level, and it is very hard to get any kind of job or training course if you haven't got a few basic GCSE certificates  - especially maths and English. Everybody does GCSEs. Some people leave education after GCSEs, but most continue to sixth form and take A levels two years later, when they are 18 or so.  If you want to get into higher education you have to have good A levels.

April 28, 2015

GCSE's and A-Levels aren't alternatives to each other.

Everyone in England and Wales has to sit GCSE's when they are 16 . A-Levels are what you study for between the ages of 16-18, which you need to do well in to attend university (higher education institutes).

There is an alternative to A-Levels offered by a small number of (mainly private) schools called the International Baccalaurate, or IB, but this is taken by a minority of students.

Scotland has its own education system which is different to that of England and Wales, it isn't the same system across all of Great Britain.

April 28, 2015

Thank you very much))

April 28, 2015

Thank you for your explanation) 

April 28, 2015