Tiffany Scott
Kanji Help

Hello everyone, 

I am learning Japanese and one of the biggest problems I am having is learning kanji. I do understand that there are two different kinds of readings, the on-yomi and kun-yomi the problem I have having is I don't know when to use what reading. I have heard the rule of thumb is if it is a compound kanji you use the on-yomi and if it is single kanji you use the kun-yomi hoever I have seen a few kanji where this rule doesn't apply for example rich person お金持ち。Why do you read this using the kun-yomi...ugh Im just so confused..PLEASE HELP. ありがとうございます

Apr 29, 2015 9:10 PM
Comments · 9

Just learn the kanji with your vocabulary and in context! I also recomend learning the 122 radicals before learning all of the kanji, at least review the. This is what has helped me ^ ^

April 30, 2015

^Good advice. Something a lot of people overlook is the radicals, it makes learning a lot easier if you know how they work.

April 30, 2015

okay! Thank you so much, I will try that. :) 

April 30, 2015

ありがとうございます!

May 4, 2015

Here's an article on how to learn Kanji (from this site) hope this helps you out.

http://www.italki.com/article/188/3-pieces-of-advice-for-beginning-kanji#.VUepA84r5UQ

May 4, 2015
Show more