Rassul Moussavi
Oops, page not found

Some pages of italki (question, discussion or entry) are not available for me and when I want to open some links this warning apears:

Oops, page not found
Sorry, that page doesn't exist. Please check the link and try again.
You can also try going back to the italki homepage

I don't know what's wrong with them, maybe the links are expired. They probably have been reported by users and blocked by italki. I don't know.

Has this problem occurred to you?

Does anyone know about that?

May 1, 2015 5:39 PM
Comments · 20

Dorothy, I know it from discussions about islamization.

Anyway, I am surprised it is not a known word, it has it's own wiki page:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Proselytism

Quote:

Proselytism is considered inappropriate, disrespectful, and offensive by some individuals. As such, it is not protected in certain environments open to the public or are owned privately: government buildings, public education (grade schools and college campuses), the workplace and private properties like ones' home or front yard.

And italki can be compared to a 'public college campus', in my opinion.

May 2, 2015

That happened to me.. and I do not know the reason.
I wrote a neutral entry, neither about politic nor about religion, however due to a mysterious reason it was deleted.

Now I feel discriminated and censured :C

May 2, 2015

I agree with RTL. Just like in the real world, it's better to have censorship that irritates you occasionally than to have no censorship at all.

Yes, it's annoying when an inoffensive post disappears. But it at least it shows that the moderators are keeping an eye, and maintaining standards of decent and respectful behaviour. The alternative would be a complete free-for-all, a forum where religious bigots, political fanatics and racists could be as unpleasant and abusive as they like. On balance, I'd rather have over-cautious policing than zero policing. We're only here to learn languages, after all.

May 1, 2015

The links don't usually expire. If you get a 'Page not found' notice it means that it's been deleted by the moderators. This usually happens when someone has said something they consider to be inappropriate or offensive.

May 1, 2015

@Paul, yes....actually my last notebook entry is about that exact problem. But I have found a website which has an interesting feature. If you type in the word, you get an explination what it means, but also an indicator that says how well known the word is....

http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/proselytize

And yes, proselytize/proselytise is known by few English speakers. So, why did I learn that word, when more than half of the English speaking world does not know the meaning itself?

May 1, 2015
Show more