Rebecca
Learning Article : Learning Alone: 7 Ways To Be Productive

Discuss the Article : Learning Alone: 7 Ways To Be Productive

<a href='/article/443/learning-alone-7-ways-to-be-productive' target='_blank'>Learning Alone: 7 Ways To Be Productive</a>

When you aren't interacting with teachers or native speakers, there are plenty of ways to learn a language alone. Here are seven tips.

May 4, 2015 12:00 AM
Comments · 47

The first word came to my mind is AMAZING ARTICLE! I have no doubts that's was one of the greatest articles I've read here.

May 6, 2015

Excellent article! I also use a recorder with varios language drills. New vocabulary-Spanish/English and English/Spanish. I include files with verb conjugation and creative ways to drill with them. Sometimes I ask questions in Spanish to answer in Spanish. Pronoun drills. Some translation of sentences. I use my recorder when I walk my Doberman every morning. The 40 minutes gives me more practice with new vocabulary and other needed grammar.

In learning, my hardest part has been listening and comprehending. I have improved a lot but it has been difficult. I think part of the problem is that we can watch TV, write and still converse in our native language. However, for me, the new language, Spanish, requires total concentration. I have had to learn to focus. I have had (still have) wonderful teachers from Italki who have helped me greatly. One of the teachers gave me the impression that at my level of Spanish I should be able to comprehend relatively well, with help at times. This has forced me to develop better listening skills. I am very happy with her approach. Classes are fun. My speaking partners have become great friends. I am an old dude. If I can learn, anyone can learn a new language. It just takes constant practice. Thank you for the article and encouragement.

December 20, 2015

I look forward to a time when all of what you've written becomes common sense. All too often I meet language learners who think they can't have proficiency in their target language or, even worse, who claim they are just not good at languages AT ALL… when in reality what happened was that "traditional methods" didn't work for them. It's just a matter of trying something else or, even better, sculpting our own method. And, there's definitely no need to make "the failure of one approach" part of our identity. Thank you Rebecca for such a brilliant article!

May 29, 2015

You're welcome Lizy. Please let me know how it goes, I'd love some feedback! :)

May 4, 2015
Added to favourites!
April 17, 2018
Show more