Matthew35
What level is The IT crowd?

Hi, I learned something from the IT crowd about long sentences trying to use them in talkings,,so I don't know the level that is about,,like the long sentence :you can see a ridicoulous man  who has exhausted all his resources ,his energys to an expensive trial which resulted in humiliation."     

like "weakened,irritabillity,anxiety,breast tenderness,,but you can not tell the entire community that we have the PMT"

like "I still can remember the circumstance here a lot of more condusive than what I remember an excutive calling 'working skirt'"

I don't know if I speak like this,can I "pretend" to be a good English speaker?  and this sitcom level seems much more related to normal life,not so specific in subjects,the ways they are talking and the sentences,are they common level in English countries?

Thank you!!!

May 4, 2015 3:44 AM
Comments · 2

Thank you so much Peachey, you helped me a lot,maybe I should do more works in making quick clean talks.

May 4, 2015

Hi Matthew,

The thing we should remember is that <em>The IT Crowd</em> is a comedy - you hear funny phrases and sentences, but they are not typical phrases you'd hear in everyday life. In fact, a couple of your examples use the comic technique of "using more words than really necessary".

To answer your question, it's not possible to "pretend" to be a good English speaker just by using long sentences - especially if there are still errors when you speak. Aim for clear sentences and proper phrases, and you'll be much closer to sounding natural.

May 4, 2015