Rémy Beijing
EXCEPT vs EXCEPT FOR

What are the differences between these 2 phrases?

Here is the definition given by the dictionary:  <em>except</em> (also<em> except for</em>) used before you mention the only thing or person about which a statement is not true.

Synonym: Apart from

eg

1/ We work every day except Thursday. (= except for Thursday?)

2/ They all came except Matt. (= except for Matt?)

3/ I had nothing on except for my socks. (= except my socks?)

My question: are <em>except</em> and <em>exccept for</em> used identically? If so, <em>except</em> in examples 1&2 can be subsituted with <em>except for</em>? Likewise, <em>except</em> can substitute for <em>except for</em> in example 3?

Am I right with this?

As to <em>apart from</em>, the definition given by the dictionary is as follows:

1/ except for

eg I've finished apart from the last question. ( = I've finished except for/except the last question?)

2/ in addition to, as well as

eg Apart from their house in London, they've also got a villa in France.

(So they actually have both a house in London and a villa in France)

When used in the 1st sense, my previous examples would be :

1/ We work every day apart from Thursday.
2/ They all came apart from Matt.
3/ I had nothing on apart from my socks.

Are these grammatically correct, too?

Thanks to share your thoughts with me on this!

May 5, 2015 4:50 PM
Comments · 4

Hi Alisha

thank you so much for your kind reply and the older psot on "apart from"

May 6, 2015

You're welcome :) 

May 7, 2015

I found an older post on 'apart from'

http://www.italki.com/question/99146

May 5, 2015

They mean the same thing. There is no difference.

We work every day except Thursdays (and: except for Thursdays) might sound more natural if you're talking about EVERY Thursday. But it is still technically okay to say just 'Thursday'.

But yes, It's just an extra word. 'for' 

As for the 'apart from' It...means the same thing but it sounds kind of strange in your example sentences. It is more common to use 'except (for)' In those three sentences. 

Here are some examples that apart from would sound better:

We went into the forest to pick berries but ended up only picking blueberries apart from the rest. 

I know I didn't explain this very well..It's a little confusing, I know. haha Just know that it is uncommon to use 'apart from' in most cases, especially in everyday use. You may mostly only see this term in literature/novels/stories etc. I hope this makes sense.. 

May 5, 2015