[Deleted]
what would be correctly "I have to" or "I have got to"?

So, I know that the meanings of those two expressions are similar. I always write simply "i have to do smth" but most often i come into "i've got to". I become doubting that I had been using this expression correctly all along.

May 6, 2015 4:03 PM
Comments · 4

Just one thing to add.:

Please note that the personal pronoun 'I' should <em>always </em>always be a capital letter. The lower case 'i' looks lazy and sloppy. Don't use it. Nobody will talk your writing seriously if you use a lower case 'i'.

May 6, 2015

They have the same meaning: "have got to" is used to emphasise.

May 6, 2015

There is no difference in meaning between 'I have to' and 'I've got to'. Note the contracted form ''ve' in the second phrase - we rarely use the full form 'I have got to', unless we are being very forceful or trying to emphasise the point.

The main difference between 'I have to' and 'I've got to' is one of formality. The 'got to' form is informal. This means that it's fine to use it in friendly letters and notes, but you wouldn't use it in an academic essay or business letter, for example. You can use 'I have to' in any situation, so if I were you I'd just carry on using it.

May 6, 2015

They mean exactly the same.  'I've got to do something' is slightly more familiar, and is used when speaking.

'I have to do something' is slightly more formal, and can be used in both spoken and written English.

May 6, 2015