Rachel
Writing notebook entries?

I am an absolute novice to Japanese and I feel like its super awkward to try and write a notebook entry when I don't know any kanji or kana. I don't know much else either >x<'' How did you guys go about doing this when you first started out?? Any help is appreciated...

May 6, 2015 11:17 PM
Comments · 2

I was a bit afraid to write something in Japanese as well. I haven't written anything in Japanese in a long time. I kept thinking about it as well. You can always start with writing a journal entry in English then once you have learned a bit in Japanese then write an Entry in Japanese. You can always post something and someone will come correct it for you.

May 7, 2015

I actually just wrote my first journal entry in Japanese today. It was a bit difficult though because there were words I was not sure about. I looked a lot of stuff up. I was also unsure about which particles to use. I'm not really a novice since I've been studying Kanji for almost a year now. You could write your entry in Hiragana if that's all you know right now. I took Japanese three years in high school though but that was over ten years ago. I remember all my Hiragana and Katakana though. I've written two journal entries one in English and the other in Japanese. I know you can't read Kanji yet but here is my current journal post. They give you prompts on the right side of the screen and people will correct your post if you get anything wrong.

http://www.italki.com/entry/554093

私の名前はクリスです。私は28才です。そして、アメリカの出身です。私は四人の兄弟一つの姉、二つの妹、と、一の弟を持っています。私は英語と少し日本語が話します。私は二週間でアニメコンベンションで出席することを計画しています。

Summary: Basically all I did was introduce myself, say where I was from, talked about how many siblings I have, mentioned a bit about being able to speak both English and a little Japanese, and that I will be attending an anime convention in two weeks.

May 7, 2015