Anna Me
Professional Teacher
Learning Article : 5 Weird Russian Phrases You'll Love

Discuss the Article : 5 Weird Russian Phrases You'll Love

<a href='/article/436/5-weird-russian-phrases-youll-love' target='_blank'>5 Weird Russian Phrases You'll Love</a>

We’ll look at five linguistic gems of the Russian language. These weird Russian phrases are brilliantly ridiculous, extremely common and easy to remember.

May 7, 2015 12:00 AM
Comments · 5

Nice article, Anna! Thanks for sharing. All the phrases are definitely worth knowing. I hope learners of the Russian language find them very useful.

By the way, there's another English equivalent to "<em>ничего</em>" which is <em>nothing out of the ordinary</em> in this context.

A word of caution... As "<em>блин</em>" is a curse word, I wouldn't recommend using it unless you're an advanced learner of Russian and have a deep understanding of how the language works. It just doesn't sound natural enough when it is said by non-native speakers, but it's still useful to know. 

May 9, 2015

<em>Да нет</em> reminds me of the Australian filler, "yeah, nah". However, it has a different use in Australian English - we use "yeah, nah" to pick up on a story from where we left off, especially if someone else has commented and we want to bring the focus back to what we're talking about. the closest I can equate it to is "yes, that's fine and I agree, but no need to add anymore - listen to me and I'll continue".

May 27, 2015

Anna Me, you have forgotten another weird Russian phrase "нет нет да" (= иногда, бывает) which means sometimes in Russian: Нет, нет, да зайду в магазин и куплю себе что-нибудь дорогое, но вкусное.

May 10, 2015

Thanks for sharing !

May 9, 2015

Thanks for the article! I'll try using them) 

May 7, 2015