Barry
Different scripts

Does anyone have ang recommendations for how to learn a language with a different alphabet/scripts?  I'm a native English speaker and I am having a hard time learbing to recognize and pronounce the Khmer scripts.

May 11, 2015 8:06 AM
Comments · 4

This is perhaps the best use for flashcards.

May 11, 2015

It depends what your goals are ...  Do you want to be able to read only or really master both, reading and writing...  They are two different skills and you would need two different techniques ( or more depending on the type of learner you are)  .  Learning like the locals do is probably best long term, but it is time consuming and only possible in-country.  If you only need to read the language and have very limited use for writing it, then i think someone already suggested to read things you already know.  Reading is really pattern recognition, it is awefully hard to read something you have no idea about, let alone in a foreign language...  To convince yourself of that, try reading off an old type digital board with words running across in one or two words snippets...  Tough.  My advice based on previous mistakes i have made :  if you want to read AND write the target language, do both at the same time in equal time length.  It will take you much more time to produce than recognize, so more time to be able to write than to just read.  If you don't need to write at all, just start reading some e-books so you can read along, subtitled movies, words you already know, and read, read, read....

Hope it helps,

stephan

October 10, 2016

Maybe by learning to recognize familiar words in that script.

Like your name, your city etc

October 10, 2016

Watching youtube videos has helped me like:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QBC3D2mHetc

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MO0gfNV6RUA

I also write a new word I am trying to learn with the Khmer script first then I write it with the latin letters. That has helped me to get used to the script.

October 10, 2016