GMC
Rules or no rules...

I wonder if it is possible to learn a language without learning any rule at all...like native people learn a language, just listening and repeating...When I write in English I don't think in rules, I know them because I needed to learn them in order to do my written exercices but I can't think about them when I speak or write if I am not doing an specific exercice. I only care about what I'm trying to say. 

What about you?

May 12, 2015 8:52 AM
Comments · 11

I think it's possible, but only up to a certain level. If you want to get a deeper understanding of a language (especially in a formal or academic context), you'll probably have to deal with grammar rules at some point. :)

May 13, 2015

Yes, of course, but that means you will have to spend much much much much time being exposured in this language. 

May 13, 2015

learning grammar is very important.

even native speakers learn grammar about their own language in schools, have you listened to any formally non educated native speaker? you will see that he/she can speak the language that can be easily understood by others but there will be many grammatical mistakes in it.

May 13, 2015

I believe that kids have a different brain and we cannot try to do things as they do. If it were possible, it'd be awesome and we'd have much more success in life in some aspects, such as, learning languages!

Some languages like English can be learnt without too much effort in picking the grammar and the rules, but Russian would be impossble just by listening!

May 13, 2015

In my opinion, there are so many ways to learn...depending on your goals, depending on your possibilities, depending on your capacity and your desire to work...

But sometimes, one day some people wake up and they start to speak another language because they have someone who speaks another language next to them...They are so lucky!

If they take advantage of it, they can learn properly with some grammar help. If they waste the opportunity some of them will only speak to be understood but won't be clear enough...and tha'ts a shame...

May 25, 2015
Show more