Elia Murru
You look beautiful today vs Oggi sei bella

You are probably familiar with this expression: you look beautiful today!In Italian we have something similar but the meaning is not exactly the same. When in English you say to a woman "you look beautiful today", it is a compliment. However, if you say to a woman oggi sei bella, it is not the same. This is because if you mention OGGI it is like you are saying that the woman is only beautiful  today. It may sound a silly observation but my advice is: do not mention OGGI if you want to tell an Italian woman that today she looks beautiful :)

May 13, 2015 1:59 AM
Comments · 3

Why do you think in english there isn't the same risk?

May 13, 2015

As a native English speaker it depends on the way it's said.... as I have heard people say that phrase and the response has normally been a mixture of 'thanks' and 'so are you saying I look ugly normally?'. My advice would be to simply say 'you look lovely' and leave out the 'today'!

May 19, 2015

Well, this is a good point and probably an English native speaker should answer us, but my feeling based on what I heard and seen is that they would not make any kind of comments like, oh Am I beautiful only today? An Italian woman would do it 90% of the times

May 13, 2015