Gianluca
Advice for listening

Hello everybody, yesterday I did another English lesson. I was not very satisfied with the last lesson, because I didn't understand very much. Maybe because the teacher had a difficult accent for me to understand, or I have difficulty listening, and because of that I'm discouraged.
My other English skills such as reading, understanding texts, and writing are good enough.
I want to improve my English skills but I don't know what I can do to resolve it.                    Someone has some advices, tips to help me???

May 14, 2015 11:11 AM
Comments · 18

Su.Ki. i must say i disagree with you on this. 

If your level of english is intermediate, and you go from classes with an american teacher to, lets say, classes with someone from Liverpool, you really can't expect it to be as easy to understand the teacher, no matter how slowly and clearly he/she speaks. English accents can differ alot, and if you are from a country like Italy where you don't listen to english on a daily basis, some accents will definetley be more difficult to understand than others. 

Ofcourse the teacher should adjust the class for the students need, but based on this short outline of the students experience, i think you are judging way too quickly. 

You seem caught up with the fact that as a paying customer, you should expect a certain level of service, but have you actually read on the support page what a community teacher is and what you can expect from them? They are not professional teachers, and you can't even expect them to have a class prepared for you. You can't expect a community teacher to be able to adjust the level of class content during a half hour class, like you would with a professional teacher. This said, i guess there are people out there that should think twice before enrolling themselves as teachers. 

"If you have booked any more lessons with this person, you should cancel them immediately". I think you are writing off a teacher on someone elses behalf on the ground of very little knowledge, and i simply don't think it's fair to the teacher in question. It may be true that the teacher hasn't been suitable for the student, but you are making it sound like the teacher was really horrible, and i don't think this is fair. 

I wanted to get this message through, because if i was the teacher regarding this post, and i read your message, i would feel a little hurt, and i don't think that was the intention of your message. 

May 15, 2015

Please may I make one thing very clear? This is NOT your fault, Gianluca. 

It is this 'teacher' of yours who is to blame.  If someone is charging you money for lessons, it is their responsiblility to speak in a clear and comprehensible way. It has nothing to do with accents. It doesn't matter whether this person comes from Britain, the USA, Australia or anywhere else.  Whatever this person's accent is, if they are calling themselves an English teacher, they should ensure that their student understands them. This person should have checked throughout the lesson that you were following  what they were saying. If you were having difficulty understanding, this so-called teacher should have modified their speech to accommodate you. They should have slowed down their pace of speeech, enunciated more clearly and used simpler language. 

Don't be discouraged. You are not to blame.  The only discouraging thing is the fact that there are apparently some people on this site who have no idea how to modify, let alone teach, their own language. If you have booked any more lessons with this person, you should cancel them immediately. You are a paying customer, and the service you received was substandard.

May 14, 2015

Keep going. Even native speakers have difficulty with accents like the Scottish/Irish/liverpool/newcastle.  

May 21, 2015

Gianluca, i'm sorry if you read from my reply that i thought it was your fault that you had a hard time understand your teacher, because i don't! 

I think that a very difficult part of learning a language is exactly that - understanding native speakers, and it's something a lot of students struggle with. I have had the same experience with different spanish teachers. Some have been more difficult to understand than others and even though this can be discouraging, it can also be beneficial for you. I think the most important thing is to study a little every day, even the days where you feel that nothing works for you, and little by little you will improve :) 

Wish you the best of luck with your studies :) 

May 17, 2015

In my view, I think that there are some systematic tips to do when you are motivated to learn a new language. Firstly, if you want to pay for an online tutoring, you should determine what accent you need "American or British" there are big differences" . This teacher will teach you the correct pronunciation using a book and its audio files. You should use various websites to practice yourself beginning with an easy level, listen to a passage and fill the given spaces, after a week prctice you may listen to a simple passage and answer the given quistions . I think this way may greatly help you in improving you listening skills. You can practice reading loudly with a native speaker of English who can correct your pronunciation, you can practice yourself, listen to a simple conversation and try to imitate the speakers. I think this way of practice will motivate you to keep going, after a month, your English will get much better.

May 15, 2015
Show more