Cecilia
What topics do you talk with a new friend?

What topics do you talk with a new friend? Sometimes I don't know what should I say.

Can you give me some suggestions?

May 19, 2015 5:58 AM
Comments · 17

In my view, If you tend to practice with a language partner and both of you are serious, you should take 10 minutes previously to prepare the possible discussion with him/her. Firstly, write down some sugested subjects which you want to discuss.Secondly, think of some notes which may cover the intended subject and your opinion.Finally, you can give your feed back on his/her sugestions, and opinion. I think this is the systematic steps to spend useful time and improve your oral skills with your partner, and there is no waste of time with these steps.  

May 19, 2015

I don't think it's too difficult. You have to really find out about someone's interests. Think passed free time activities and hobbies... what are their intellectual interests, what articles do they tend to read most on the internet, what websites do they search. You find out a lot about a person by finding out their personal interests and habits.

May 19, 2015

After I get passed the formalities, I talk about things I would talk with people in real life.  If they get lost, then I help them understand.  A lot of the folks I speak to speak English well but they need to increase vocabulary.  They also need to get passed the book learning and into the way people talk in real life.  I have found a couple of partners and I find it very enjoyable.

June 22, 2015

I talk about school, hobbies, religion and family

June 22, 2015

Hello Cecilia,

Starting a conversation is stressful.  Most like to talk about themselves, so ask an open-end question.

This requires an answer of more than yes or no.  Try asking questions that start with how, why when, where and what. However, avoid questions that are invasive meaning be considerate and try not to hurt their feelings although you don't know them yet.  General topic or questions that are easy to answer.     

I hope this will help you.  Good luck on your quest to find new friends.   

May 20, 2015
Show more