Jeffrey
Just Starting to Learn Tagalog

Hello Everyone,

I was born in the Philippines but, sadly, don’t know how to speak Tagalog. My mother is Filipina but has never taught me either. I do understand very little Tagalog, like "Sampa sampalin kita," which my mother used to say to me a lot when I was little haha. I also understand very basic greetings and such. I am on here trying to learn to be a very good speaker so I can surprise my mother one day and travel back to the Philippines to meet relatives I haven't seen in a while. I started this discussion in hopes to find a tutor or professional speaker to help me achieve my goal.
I am new here and don't know how all this works so any help is appreciated. Maybe we can Skype, email or communicate another way.

Thank You,
Jeffrey

May 21, 2015 3:15 AM
Comments · 7

Spoken and written Tagalog are almost two completely different worlds. If you want to become a good speaker, apart from having a good language partner or tutor, I'd advise you to watch a lot of Filipino (Tagalog) movies. :)  

I hope you a tutor or language partner that will complement your learning style.  Also, may I suggest going through Benny the Irish Polyglot's website and apply his methods in your language learning. :-)  

If you have any questions, just ask them here at the discussion forum and I'd be glad to answer them. :-)

May 22, 2015

It is not too late to learn. There are professional teachers that you can find on this website.

It is better to study Tagalog or Pilipino grammar than conversational.  

Matutuwa ang nanay mo pag marunong ka na magtagalog.

May 21, 2015

"sampal-sampalin kita" - slap you many times (repetitive)

September 5, 2015

Hi Jeff, maybe I could help. Sa dami naman ng maari mong matutunan sa nanay mo yung "sampal sampalin kita" pa ang natutunan mo. Hahaha

I'm practicing my english speaking by the way. :)

June 30, 2015

I can help you on that ! :) but! If you don't mind please help me also to my english spoken plsss 

June 15, 2015
Show more