Katia
Learning languages through music: useful or useless?

Once at the age of 14-16 I was a massive Placebo fan and started learning French that time because Brian Molko spoke it. 

I used and still use and will always use songs and music for language learning both for myself and with my students, cause I know how to do it and it works. 

Who thinks the same way or otherwise? Is there anyone who uses this method of learning or anyone who is strongly against it? Let's discuss. 

May 22, 2015 7:13 AM
Comments · 4

I like this method a lot. It is good practice for accents and intonation. 

It is quite tricky, though, because songs are full if idioms, colloquialisms, slang and they are taking many liberties with grammar.

I think songs shouldn't be used to teach grammar, only vocabulary and fluency.

May 22, 2015

Ruthi, do you use only the songs designed for teaching purposes (like those we have in some textbooks) or popular songs (or thise your students like)? Or both? 

May 22, 2015

ur suggested way probably works for many of learners...but at the same it may not help others...i think its matter of personal taste...someone may find ur suggetsted way as a perfect one while it could be a distractive way for someone els 

May 22, 2015

I agree with you.I always used to end my lesson with a song and the students would always wait for it very excitedly and ask me what song we are going to do today.I would tell them they have to wait and find out.I found it was a very effective way to teach language.

May 22, 2015