Martina
New life and work experience in London. (Departure: July)

Hi everyone this is my first post on Italki, I'm learning English so I'm sorry for mistakes I will do.

I'd like to have a confrontation with you about my decision to move to London to find a job (and I'm writing this to improve my english writing skills).

I'm an Italian girl, I'm from Sardinia an island in the Mediterranean sea (a very beautiful island, if you can make a trip here!). I'm 22 years old and I studied Photography and Fashion Photography for two years in two different cities: Firenze and Verona (both in Italy) and my dream is become a fashion photographer.

At the moment I'm not doing anything.. No job, no university or similar, I don't take photos.. This is a strange and hard time because I can't find any kind of job and this makes me feel down. For this reason I decided to leave my town and try to find a job in London.

My english sucks more or less and I don't have any work experience (just as nanny) so I know that maybe this is a "crazy and/or irresponsible" decision, but I need to change my life, to find a job and become an indipendent person.

Why London? I chose it because a lot of my friends live there so I thought that it will be easier for me to acclimate and feel safe. 

My plan is to find any kind of job, in the catering enviroment or as a nanny or in the retail sales enviroment.. I don't know, I don't have big claims honestly. The most important things at the moment are to find a job that allows me to live in London, to improve my English and acclimate in the city. After all these things I'll search a job as assistent photographer and I'll try to make my dream come true.

I'm afraid but at the same time I'm excited because however it goes it will be an experience that will help me to grow. Finger crossed! :D

What do you think about it? Am I totally mad? Have you ever had similar experiences? Are you Londoners or do you know London? What do you think about the life there? Tell me yours! :)

Have a nice day!

P.S. Can you correct the mistakes that I made? Thanks!!

May 24, 2015 3:23 PM
Comments · 8

More or less at your age I went to London.

My money was stolen while riding the bus the first day BUT in a couple of days

I was working in a supermarket, I received my first pay within a few days.

My English was really poor back then.

I wish you a much better luck, but even my experience was interesting.

After some weeks I spent all my money at Charing Cross Road,where huge book shops use to be,

I think it was Foyles were I stayed for long hours like in a trance.

Again, wish you the best, and thank you for taking me back to those times.

May 24, 2015

Go for it - you only live once!

i wish you good fortune.

Lindon is a great city, a little bit expensive but if you have friends here you should be okay.

tony

May 24, 2015

Thank you so much Su.Ki. for your help and for your motivating words, they make me very happy! 

I thought too that I could miss the sunshine and especially the sea, but I hope it will not be too hard get used to the climate so different from mine. It will be an adventure! :D 

May 24, 2015

Hi Martina, and welcome to italki.

If you'd like someone to correct your mistakes, you should repost this in the Notebook section. The Notebook features make it easier for people to edit and highlight text.

And your English doesn't 'suck' at all - it's fluent, natural and pretty accurate. As for coming to England, yes, why not? Go for it. You're not mad in the slightest.  London's a lively multicultural city, full of young people from every corner of the globe. As an EU citizen, you have every right to live and work here. I just hope you won't miss the sunshine too much. Good luck!

May 24, 2015

I'll add a dissenting voice because personally I am not a big fan of London. Sure it's interesting to visit, the museums and art galleries especially but I wouldn't particularly want to live there. Too busy, too crowded, too expensive. I'm only being semi-serious here, but myself and my friends at university used to say that if you want to have a great time in London you need to be able to fulfill each of these three criteria.

1) To be young.

2) Have no financial responsibilities other than to yourself. 

3) £ 

With number 3 the most important.

Anyway, I hope you have a good time in our nation's capital.

May 27, 2015
Show more