Jewel
Teaching a Foreign Language, Studying a Foreign Language

As learners of a foreign language, what would you say is most helpful to you?

What qualities do you look for in a great teacher?

What qualities do you look for in a great textbook?

What qualities do you look for in great online resources?

Basically, <em>how do you learn best</em>?

Tell me how you study and how you think teachers should teach.

As teachers of a foreign language, what do you find is most helpful for your students?

How do you choose great materials?

What qualities do the best students and fastest or most efficient learners possess?

What activities or exercises produce the greatest results?

Tell me how you teach and how you think students should study.

May 24, 2015 7:16 PM
Comments · 14

I was going to answer your post, but I discovered you didn't ask nearly enough questions. So I'll wait and see if you add another 50 or so.

July 17, 2015

Lol - I guess I didn't know the rules. I humbly apologize for not being able to read you mind. 

July 18, 2015

As a learner

Any online resource is valid so I just think it depends on how we're going to make use of it. The learner should know how to benefit from it and the teacher should know how to make it benefitial.

Basically, how do you learn best?

It depends on the language, for some languages I need a very structured program, maybe with a very traditional way of learning, others I need a bit of the traditional and new ways, including communicative approach and etc, others I will simply need a immersion and it will sink in naturally without too many efforts... so, it really depends.

As mentioned before, it will depend! Now I am studying three languages actively. With French, I use a great text-book, I have a tutor that knows how to organise our time session with conversation, explanation and the practice of the explanation, and I use online resources such as videos, songs and texts to build my knowledge. With German, same thing, but since I am more concerned in improving my grammar and sentence structure, I am more focused in exercises and reading. With Russian, I learn very sistematically because other ways it won't help me, I have already tried. 

Teachers should understand the needs of the student and adapt to them so that the expectations will be met somehow.

July 17, 2015

As I learner
what would you say is most helpful to you?
It depends on the language. There are languages that I am more comfortable with an extreme commuicative approach such as English, when I was studying English, I hardly took notes or organised the ideas on a notebook or something, it was more of listening, retaining the information and reproducing it in conversation sessions. Other languages such as Spanish, I needed more structure to the grammar, but with conversation and vocabulary it was more of communicative approach, I only took (several notes) for grammar. So it really depends on the language, now with Russian, I need to be really sistematic and organised. So a good textbook, one workbook and a patient teacher that will lead me through the process very carefully.

Again, depends on the teacher! If I am studying a complicated language such as Russian, then I need a very organised, serious when necessary and that know how to deliever information easily.

For conversational sessions, I look for a teacher that won't talk more than me, but he or she needs to be really carismatic and friendly. I hate serious, reserved and shy teachers for conversational sessions because they don't lead the convo, they allow those " awkward silence " to happen and I'm the one who ends up leading the session. This is not good!

Lots of pictures, organised, nice-looking and with real usage of the language. Many people nowadays because of some "polyglot's philosophies" discriminate the usage of textbooks but the truth is that many recent and updated ones deliever an excellent content. 

July 17, 2015

As learners of a foreign language, what would you say is most helpful to you?

A great thecher should have enough knowledge to transmit to his/her students.

He/she should have a good methodology of explanation the lecture.

The subject matter of a textbook should be based on the psychological needs and interests of students.

The vocabulary should be controlled, properly selected and graded.

The style should be based on the principle of simple to complex.

There should be sufficient number of exercises at the end of every lesson.

These resources should be reliable.

Basically, how do you learn best?

By reading books, and summarizing the main important points.

Most of the time, I follow <em>"Task-Based Learning Strategies"</em>

Background Knowledge:I reflect on what I already know about a task or topic ,so that it is easier to learn and understand new information.

Use my Organizational Skills:I either use a rule I already know or create a new rule that helps me to learn new information .

Use a Variety of Resources :I use reference materials, such as dictionaries, textbooks, periodicals and the Internet to complete difficult tasks.

May 24, 2015
Show more