Ági
Learning two languages at once

I have an old dilemma: is it a good idea to learn two languages at once? How to do it? I've been learning English for years and I used to learn German when I went to school. I like the German language very much, but is it a good idea to learn it together with English? I have other goals as well, like Finnish, Russian and French - should I learn them one after the other by all means? What is your opinion?

May 24, 2015 7:47 PM
Comments · 3

In my experience it gets confusing when you have two or more similar languages. I learned Portuguese and Italian at the same time and I felt my head was going to explode (lol), so I had to quit one (Italian).

I recommend you to learn English first, then German will be much easier.

May 24, 2015

I'm still learning English and starting with Korean. Since all the materials to learn Korean are most in English, I am practicing both languages at the same time.

May 24, 2015

I have the same dilema. I have to learn English but I enjoy learning German and Italian. However, as I have no as much time as I would like to learn foreign languages I have not made much progress in German and Italian. I have thought of sticking to learning English, but some companies require their employees to speak a third language apart from English. I have a B2 certificate in French, but I no longer enjoy learning this language. Also, it's very difficult to perfect this language because it's not as simple as translating every wor d from Spanish into French as many people claim.

May 24, 2015