Antony
Characteristics of a good English teacher?

In your experience, what makes a good English teacher?  I am a native English speaker from England, would you take lessons from someone who didn't have teaching experience but would enjoy helping people to learn English for free?

May 24, 2015 9:15 PM
Comments · 3

YES, for more than one reason:

1. the teacher should start in one way or the other

2. enthusiasm is sometimes more valuable than  complete knowledge, especially where

learning proceeds in some way through an imitation process, which is the case for language

lessons.

3. It is always true that we should evaluate  the teachers from what they can teach and not merely

from what they know or don't know, I don't need a teacher that knows everything, I would need

a teacher that teaches me well what he knows.

4. the risk is low on the side of the student, as he can make several comparisons with

a little investment in money and time. This is also the less important reason.

May 24, 2015

Let me rewrite the first 'reason':

1. the teacher should have a chance to start teaching, in one way or the other.

Being at the beginning of a carreer does not logically imply (entails?) that the person is not competent

in the chosen field.

May 24, 2015

For me, a good teacher should show in his/her profile his strategies or techniques which he tend to use in common in the class. Maybe, I disagree some of them, at least, I can determine how much perfect and sophisticated he is.

May 24, 2015