Tati
Professional Teacher
Learning Article : Typical Russian Pronunciation Mistakes

Discuss the Article : Typical Russian Pronunciation Mistakes

<a href='/article/455/typical-russian-pronunciation-mistakes' target='_blank'>Typical Russian Pronunciation Mistakes</a>

Check out 5 typical Russian pronunciation mistakes made even by proficient Russian learners. Want to sound more like a native? Read the explanations and practice along with 7 audio links.

May 25, 2015 12:00 AM
Comments · 7

Ы on its own deserves a special article, so I didn't want to tackle it. By the way, your only problem in my opinion is that you reduce the unstressed syllables too much! Don't overdo it, and you'll sound perfectly natural ;)

May 25, 2015

Elizabeth:

Actually not far. At least comparing to English. If you say russian words as they are written, native speaker will always understand you. Of course, there are exceptions, but in common there is no such a huge mismatch as in English.

May 31, 2016

Interesting, I don't think I knew even half of those rules! But then I do use the approach suggested at the end, which is to listen and then try to immitate.

I would add another common error, and that is the pronunction of И and Ы, with the latter being often pronounced the same as the first. I certainly suffered from that one until it was pointed out to me, thankfully fairly early on. That's where the explanations come in handy, they help you to hear the things that perhaps you didn't notice before.

May 25, 2015
Are those vocaroo audio files working for people? They don't play or download for me. If I try to download I see an error: "media file does not exist".
September 5, 2019
Ой, а почему глумиться? Это совсем не моё намерение! Мне жаль, что Вы так восприняли. Всегда бывает очень трудно подобрать фото к статье, да ещё из свободного доступа. В этом случае, когда увидела этот снимок,. сразу возникла идея диалога с транскрипцией. А бюсты - яркие представители чего-то советского, а значит русского, так что замечательно подходят в качестве отсыла к статье именно о русском языке. Ну конечно, раз Вам так не понравилась моя идея, напишите в техподдержку italki и попросите их убрать фото. 
May 1, 2017
Show more