Andrew
Typing in a different language

I'm a native English speaking currently learning French, and I'm often slowed down when I'm trying to write on a computer. For those learning a language that contains unique charaters that aren't on a standard English keyboard: (particularly French) how do you go about it?

I noticed that I can change my operating system, Windows, to an English (International) keyboard layout, but all this does is allow you to place apostrophes and quotation marks before a letter in order to change it to the accented form, and it's a hastle to get used to. Should I go out and buy a legitimate French keyboard?

May 25, 2015 8:57 AM
Comments · 6
May 26, 2015

I think the only way to do it is to get a french keyboard - or do everything on a tablet or on your phone so you can change the input language. 

I do this for Russian, I just switch input language and voila I have myself a Russian keyboard. And if you do it in French, it knows all the accents! Cheating a little, but hey, it's one way of learning. 

May 25, 2015

Hi,

Im also learning french and what i found best was typing on a sony/galaxy/ipad tablet that have a word suggestion bar above the keyboard with correct french accents on the letters. Although it might take a bit of time getting used to it in the beginning.

May 26, 2015

There are plugins for Chrome and Firefox to do this easily. No need to change Windows.

I use i.e. ¡ÅççéñţšPłüş! on Chrome.

u -> Ctrl = ü

s -> Ctrl = ß

May 26, 2015
Show more