[Deleted]
Biggest mistake !There is no apostrophe in german/Deutsch!

Hello everyone!Registered again .. got time for new students !Well.. check out my profile :)

What really borders  me is people thinking ' we can use the apostrophe also in Germany '  that  is wrong!

THERE IS NO APOSTROPHE IN GERMAN/DEUTSCH.   

I bet 80% of those people who have german as their mothertongue don't know it either and keep doing that mistake.

Exp. Wie geht es dir ? ->

short form 

Wie geht's dir ? ✘

Wie gehts dir ? ✔

Exp. Wie geht's dir ? ✘

Wie gehts  dir ? 

May 25, 2015 12:12 PM
Comments · 4

Sure there's an apostrophe in German – see §§ 96 and 97 of the official ortography rules [1] and the explanations at [2], for instance.

[1] http://www.duden.de/sites/default/files/downloads/amtliche_Regelungen.pdf ;

[2] http://www.duden.de/sprachwissen/rechtschreibregeln/apostroph

May 25, 2015

I also have never heard this before.

There are rules when to set an apostrophe in German - listed in the "Duden" (DonHolgo has already given the link)

As far as "Wie geht´s dir" goes:
Rule 14/4 (Duden) states:
"Bei umgangssprachlichen Verbindungen eines Verbs oder einer Konjunktion mit dem Pronomen „es" ist der Apostroph entbehrlich; er wird jedoch häufig verwendet. ---Wie gehts (auch: geht's) dir?"

@Ghatol Bawari: Could you give us more information about the rule that "Wie geht´s" is the "biggest mistake"?

May 25, 2015

I've never heard this before.

I'm aware that that there's no apostrophe for the genitive form of names ( 'Peters Buch', for example).  But otherwise, all the German grammar books that I've ever seen teach students to use apostrophes in much the same way as they are used in English - to show that something is missing.

For example, isn't  " Wie geht's dir?" a contracted form of 'Wie geht es dir?'.  The apostrophe is showing that the subject 'es' is abbreviated. 'Wie gehts dir' looks confusing to me - I wouldn't know what the subject is, or who or what the verb form 'gehts' refers to.

I'd be interested to hear whether other native German speakers agree with the idea that their language has no apostrophe. If they do, then we've been learning something wrong all these years!

May 25, 2015

@DonHolgo wenn es schwer verständlich ist oder es missverstanden werden kann.

Ich habe zwei Seminare zu diesem Thema besucht und im Falle " Wie gehts dir " darf es nicht verwendet werden.

May 25, 2015