Hamed
WHY IS THE ENGLISH LANGUAGE SO CONFUSING?

The prepositions ON, IN and AT. For example we have to say 'On Sunday', 'In summer' and 'At the end of the street'. In my mother tongue (Persian), we can simply use one preposition for all ON, IN and AT and sometimes we can omit them easily. I don't know why the creators of the English language made this language so confusing.

In English, we can find many synonyms for most of the words in dictionary and thesaurus. But whenever we want to use them as an interchangeable word, native speakers tell us we shouldn't use that word in that context. And as you know, it's not true about some languages.

There are some irregular verbs in the English language. Example: [Give, Gave, Given]!
In my mother tongue there is no such thing as irregular verb. All the verbs are regular. We can add suffix or prefix to make them different.

In English, the pronunciation of some words is completely different from the word on the paper.
For example: You write down 'Laugh', but you should say it as /lɑːf/
In my mother tongue, if we want to say 'laf' (لاف), we write it down as 'laf' (لاف), not anything else.

I don't want to say the English language is bad, I believe it's really great and beautiful. But I don't know why the creators of the English language made this language so confusing. Native speakers can't understand how the things I mentioned about the English language can be confusing to non-native speakers (Learners). Because English people already know English. In the end, sorry about my poor English, I know I have grammatical errors in my writing.

May 25, 2015 12:54 PM
Comments · 5

That's the things with all languages, not just English. They're not created (well apart from Esperanto), they develop organically over time and build upon pre-existing languages. Hence there are some things that appear illogical to a learner, or even to the case of native speakers in certain cases.

We have many synonyms for many words because we have influences from different languages, Latin, French, Germanic languages, Celtic languages, each of which have contributed their own vocabulary over the years. 

Yes there are things that are challenging, but that is the case with any language. In my opinion, if you take the attitude that something doesn't work like this in your native language, like you mentioned with the prepositions in/on/at, and spend ages wondering why the language is so illogical it is much easier to become frustrated. Yes there are things that are hard but there are also things that are easy.

For example, making a plural in English. Just add 's'. Not difficult. The conjugations of the verb, yes some of them are irregular but offten the conjugation of the verb is the same for all of the respective subject pronouns. You mentioned 'to give, the past tense conjugation is 'gave' for I/you/he/she/it/we/they. Again much less complicated than Romance languages or Slavic languages. There are things about English that are easy, and there are things that are hard. Try not to get too hung up on the differences, and with time and practice they will become more intuitive.

Also, finally, you express yourself very well in written English. I have mentioned to this you before when I have answered your queries but your written English is good! Not poor at all! I am aware writing is a separate skill to speaking, writing and listening but you do a very good job.

Keep practising!

May 25, 2015

Thank you very much for your comments. Yes, every language can be confusing. And I agree with all of you. Your opinions make me understand more about languages. I mean, the facts about languages. Especially this sentence: <em>'There are things that are hard but there are also things that are easy.'</em> :)

Thank you everybody.
I must continue learning English, because I do love English.

May 25, 2015

Your English is not poor.

Actually anyone who has tried teachin English (including native speakers) do realize that English can be quite confusing. The main point you are trying to make with your examples as that there are many exceptions to the grammar rules in pronunciation rules in English. That's completely true and it can be frustrating. Exceptions mean that you'll have to learn by memory. Once you get the fundamentals down, English can also be an enjoyable language to use.

As for all of the synonyms...in many cases different words have slightly different meaning. For example: jog, run, and sprint are different forms of running, but are different paces of running. Jogging is generally slower and sprinting is a short spurt of running very fast. In time you'll learn the intricacies (details) of the language and hopefully be able to master it. It takes time.

May 25, 2015

Well, even Esparanto was built on other languages, Zamenhoff used the Latin alphabet and simplified the grammar.  It is being used today, and I'm sure that it has changed a bit from the time he created it. 

May 25, 2015

Hi Hamed

I am sure your language is also confusing for learners.Usually we don't notice all the things which are not logical or difficult in our own language until we try to explain it to another person. We just learn as a child and we don't notic things that are difficult.Try to look at it as "interesting" and not "difficult".Try to fall in love with the language and the unusual things andt hen it will be easier for you to learn and remember things.

May 25, 2015