Nanna
School grades

Hallo:)

I'm from Denmark, when we have 9 grades in our School.

How many grades is there, where you live? :)

May 25, 2015 5:33 PM
Comments · 12

In England there are 12 years of compulsory education within a school setting. The first year is called 'reception' and then we have Years 1-11. There are two school systems, primary school and secondary school. You leave primary school at the end of Year 6 and go to secondary school. At the end of secondary school, if you want to go to university you then study for two further years, Years 12 and 13 until the age of 18. The government recently changed the law that people have to stay in some form of education until at least the age of 18, but this doesn't have to be in a school setting, you can go to college or get an apprenticeshp and learn a vocational skill instead.

May 25, 2015

In the US, in general, we have 13 pretty much compulsory grades:

Pre-kindergarten is in a separate school, though this isn't one of the mandatory grades.

Kindergarten then first through fifth grade are in elementary school (6 grades total).

Sixth through eighth grad are in middle school (3 grades total).

And ninth through twelth grade are in high school (4 grades total).

After that is college/university, though sometimes people will drop out before they even finish high school.

May 26, 2015

Paul: thanks for reply at first

Maybe you are curious about why I am interested in how young generation in western countries regard their university degrees.  Here in Taiwan, we were proud of virtually all young people graduated from high school can reach universities. The admission rate of universities for high school students is up to 95 % and I guess the 5 % students who did not want to go to university because of wish for better universities, wish for study overseas or personal financial problems etc. Whereas, the thing is not happening as the government thought that higher education means better career. To the best, it is delaying the time to contact their career for those young people as much as you said in UK. Therefore, more people started to think if we are going to learn US education to create more graduates or even masters, Ph.Ds. At present the depreciation of degrees is becoming a very truth that some parents began to reflect if it is worthy to stay in Taiwan to reach for higher education. I am one of them. 

I am going to work in Australia and my children are going to be educated in Australia. At my age, all young people made their best to reach universities as that was the pretty much security to get higher position and make more money in their career. While I am also observing the trend to reach university is changing or not. Sometimes, I envy people who have talents to create their business or kingdom in their field like Bill Gates or Steve Jobs. Other than those phenomenons, the one thing you may have reliance on might be your diploma or degree despite it is nothing more than a piece of sheet.

May 27, 2015

If you are a young person and you want a good job in the UK it is now pretty much a requirement to have a university education, unless you start your own business or something.

The previous government started an initiative to try and get as many people as possible to go to university. It is in theory a good idea because in years gone by it was only people from priveleged backgrounds who went to university, and social mobility was poor. But a consequence of this is that the job market is now saturated with people who have been to university, and didn't necessarily study something that is useful to help them get a good job. I don't think the government quite got the balance right with its initiative.

And what you said about people going to university for 'vanity' as you called it. Yes, I know people who went to university just because it was a time to have fun for three years, rather than because it would actually help them get a job at the end of three years.

May 26, 2015

Paul:

I have a question for you that haughts in my mind for years. Is it getting more difficult for a person without university degree to find a decent job in UK (or in Commonwealth) ? Are there more young people who went to university just for degree vanity instead of personal needs ?

thanks for you reply in advance

May 26, 2015
Show more