Ryan
Learning Spanish/Another Language

Hello everyone,

I'm interested in learning Spanish and have been for some time, but am not quite sure how to go about juggling two foreign languages; I'm pursuing an advanced degree in French literature while trying to learn Spanish.

Any advice on how to juggle two foreign languages or learning Spanish in general?

Thanks/gracias!

Ryan

May 25, 2015 11:48 PM
Comments · 5

Hi Ryan

Im trying to learn English but it's difficult for me, but I can help you with your spanish, i think the practice it's the better way to learn other language!

May 26, 2015

Hello Ryan, 

I am Spanish, and I would like to practice my english. I can help you with Spanish.

May 26, 2015

Thanks everyone for your comments! They've been very helpful. Judging by what you've said, I think I should immerse myself in both languages often. Makes sense!

Happy learning!

May 26, 2015

You will find many similar things between French and Spanish. I study French by reading books for learning French written in English. That way, I study both languages at the same time. So, you could look for a book for learning Spanish written in French and it might help you. It's just my piece of advice. 

May 26, 2015

Hi Ryan,

I would suggest you:

1. Keep two approaches at the same time. One for getting involved in (Spain or Latin America) Spanish culture and another one for systematically measure your progress on different skills in place. This way, you could feel like being a part of people who speak your target language while being motivated to the stricter part in taking notes and using whatever methodology you prefer to work with.

2. Since they are only two languages and your degree is related to literature, perhaps it is a good idea to help yourself based on your native grammar by comparing it to Spanish and French grammar. The result will probably be like some tables containing similarities and differences between all of three languages.

3. One more (similar) table (along with flashcards, mnemonic expressions, podcasts, etcetera) for common verbs/nouns in the conceptual scope of where they could be used (e.g. airport, office) which you are able to take a look at sight for English, Spanish and French per row.

4. Like in English in terms of idioms, focus on phrases and fixed expressions. Combine them in each language and compare every single phrase to the other two languages (if any correlation exists)

5. There are too many techniques to avoid confusion between languages. At least with those above ones, you can keep in mind your association with culture, scenarios, environments and mnemonic expressions. Thus, you can think of using an expression while being related to such specific cultural framework.

I hope this could be useful for you (:

Regards,

Jonathan

May 26, 2015