[Deleted]
I just heard Bye Bye sounds a little bit flirtatious in English???? Really? Why?

Honestly, nowadays you can hardly hear a young Chinese saying 再见. We all say Byebye(拜拜) instead. But this article say Bye Bye is flirtatious!!!!

May 26, 2015 4:52 AM
Comments · 8

It's not flirtatious. It's casual and informal.

Being casual and informal with someone <em>can</em> mean that you are trying to get closer to them and therefore it <em>can</em> be part of flirtation. 

May 26, 2015

On its own 'Bye bye' is not flirtatious. If you say it with a wink or a teasing glance it might be taken as flirtatious, but not on its own.

'Bye bye' is not a serious way to take your leave of someone, though. Because of the repetition, it can be seen as rather childish. Generally, we say 'Goodbye' in formal and neutral situations, and just 'Bye' or 'See you' in informal situations.

May 26, 2015

Don't be surprised when you hear Chinese saying bye bye....kinda the same lines as english people say Ciao.

May 26, 2015

I have to concur with the others, saying 'bye bye' isn't flirtatious. It is however a bit childish, it's what my four year old cousin says to me when she says goodbye. Adults don't normally say it to each other.

May 26, 2015

I have never heard of "bye bye" sounding flirtatious before and I am a native English speaker. It might be different in other English speaking countries, but I am not sure exactly. 

However, I think you could certainly make it sound flirtatious depending on your body language and the tone of your voice. For example, if you said "Bye bye" while winking and elongating the sound as you leave, it might sound flirtatious then, but it isn't necessarily "always" flirtatious. Like anything else, it depends on the context.

When saying goodbye (in the USA at least), most people simple say "bye," "see ya (ya=you) later," or "have a good day."  

May 26, 2015
Show more