Audrey
Which language to learn next?

I've studied Spanish for many years and I'm around B2. I'm looking for another one to learn. Any suggestions?

I was thinking maybe Italian or Portugese. What do you think of these? Or is it best to learn from another family of languages so I don't muddle them in my head?

May 28, 2015 12:37 PM
Comments · 7

Audrey

Trust me, Portuguese is harder than Mandarin. People are afraid of Mandarin because many of them never tried, at least, learning simple sentences. They just see those ideograms and say: "Oh man! It's pretty crazy! I'll never be able to learn that." Mandarin grammar is easier than any other language grammar I had already learned before.

May 28, 2015

Well, Portuguese grammar is pretty hard. I'm a native Portuguese speaker and I know just a little of grammar. Maybe Chinese could be a great choice. Mandarin isn't hard as people think it is, of course you have to memorize almost 2000 characters to be able to read a newspaper, but...

May 28, 2015

Hi,

I studied French long time ago, now I am learning Spanish and when I master it well, I want to learn Italian. Knowing French helped me a lot in understanding Spanish quickly and I hope to understand also Italian soon after the beginning of my future study.

May 29, 2015

I get what you're saying Lucas, that the script can be off putting from some languages though I'm still not sure I'd find Mandarin easier than Portugese especially as it has similarities to Spanish though I've heard it is more difficult. What is so complicated about the grammar?

I'm now actually thinking of German, which does seem complex but would be a valuable language to have.

May 29, 2015

I have done that question to myself lately and after talking to some people I chose Spanish. I was in doubt about Spanish, French or Chinese and I thought I will take a while to learn Chinese and with the amount of the time I could learn Spanish and French because there are similarities among Portuguese and they.

May 29, 2015
Show more