40nozhka
Learning English while running

What do you think about listening some language course and running at the same time? Or is it better to do it separately? :) I was thinking about listening audio book in English while running. Have you ever tried it?

May 28, 2015 5:36 PM
Comments · 17

There is some recent research that moving while thinking helps the brain process the information.  This was known even in the ancient world. That is why Socrates always walked with his student while teaching them. Today we have lost that type of teaching. So if you can listen to audio books in English while you are running you are in good company. 

May 28, 2015

I never listen to anything whilst running. I always like to be aware of who and what is around me at all times, and when I run (or swim) I find that my thoughts are more than enough to keep me company....

May 29, 2015

I have tried listening to audio courses while walking or waiting at queues and I think it doesn't work well because of teh interruptions and of the attention you have to pay to your surroundings.

If you miss a phrase in a song or a fiction audiobook, you can go on listening. If you miss a piece of your lesson because of a car or passers-by, you have to stop and rewind.

It will ruin both your running and your learning.

I suggest you listen to songs in your target language while running.

May 28, 2015

You could just repeat a set of new vocabulary words in rythm with your steps, in your mind, while running. Say a list of 20 new words that you would like to learn and then just sing them to yourself to the beat of your steps. I think that might be effective.

May 28, 2015

That's a great idea for being productive because the time that gets wasted in doing only a single task can actually be saved by multitasking. So instead of listening to music and getting nothing, we can actually increase our productivity by listening to audio books and Ted talks :)

May 28, 2015
Show more