Vincent
Do We Really Need a Selfie Stick?

I'm from mainland China. Recently, I had a chance to visit Macau, a former Portugal colony known for its reputation as the eastern Las Vegas--or should I say Las Vegas is the western Macau :). The first wierd thing I noticed is practically every tourist on the street, mostly mainlanders, was holding a selfie stick. I supposed this gadget was first invented to avoid the need to constantly harassing other people to take pictures for you, for convenience purposes. But I had to admit it's kind of a little bit annoying seeing hundreds of selfie sticks at the same time with people obliviously posing in front of their camera in all kinds of body positions. I had thought it was a typical Chinese characteristic thing, but it wasn't until last night when I accidentally click on a video clip of the David Letterman Show featuring Tom Hanks taking a selfie with David--also using a selfie stick!--that I realized this trend really had caught on worldwide, although I haven't had time to watch that whole episode to obtain his actual opinion on this phenomenon. So what is your opinion on this little gadget? Is it just a fad or something that's going to last?

May 29, 2015 7:32 AM
Comments · 6

I call it "broomstick" ;D It's very popular here Vincent and I think it's going to last as long as people are so crazy about social media websites!;) People are using it as part of marketing for themselves publicly and this is how "broomstick" became a star...

May 29, 2015

Lol. It would be fun to watch a bunch of travellers taking selfies with that selfie sticks like people holding umbrellas on rainy days. 

May 29, 2015

Your English is amazing! (The only correction I'm going to make is "the need to constantly harass") As far as the selfie stick, it's very popular here in the West, and from what you say nowhere in the world is safe. I suppose it's just the inevitable end of Western and Eastern civilization.

May 29, 2015

Thanks a million for all your comments. They are very informative and also inspiring.^_^

May 30, 2015

I find that I prefer this creative invention. Selfie trend is a good way for teenager to stand out of the crowd and build a favorable personal image.

May 31, 2015
Show more