DECYPHOS
Typing for Beginners

Hey guys,I not to long ago started using ITALKI learning Japanese and I had this burning question in the back of my mind . I've been typing in English mostly when responding to messages , emails , Skype , even when editing my own profile , but I've always wanted to know , HOW DO I TYPE IN MY TARGET LANGUAGE ( USING JAPANESE CHARACTERS ) , USING EACH METHOD OF COMMUNICATION I MENTIONED ABOVE , CAN SOMEONE PLEASE POINT ME IN THE RIGHT DIRECTION ?

May 29, 2015 10:12 AM
Comments · 5

If you install a Japanese language IME you can type directly in hiragana, katakana or kanji from your keyboard. You computer may already have one installed - if not, Google search install Japanese IME and you should be able to find instructions from Microsoft.

May 29, 2015

Like Tori said you should have Japanese on your computer already. Nearly all newer laptops have one built in. If not then you can download it online.

Your phone should definitely have a Japanese keyboard if its a smart phone. Any android or apple phone will have an option for japanese so that they keyboard in interchangeable between your native and practicing languages.

May 29, 2015

I've just had a play with Google Translate, and if you type in romaji (ie. using the Roman alphabet), it can convert your text into the right characters.

Aside from that, check your text/input settings and see if you already have a Japanese keyboard option. You can then toggle between the familiar English keyboard and other keyboard inputs. 

May 29, 2015

Go to Google Play and get Google Japanese Input.  You can use it to type kana and kanji!

May 30, 2015

Hey fellow ITAKIMATES I'm grateful for your most helpful input , I'll use them as soon as possible..ARIGATO GOZAIMASHITA (Thankyou very much)

May 29, 2015