[Deleted]
Is paying the only way to exchange languages?
May 30, 2015 4:23 AM
Comments · 10

From experience (with english and displaying respectful behavior), joining multiple sites (although on Italki I have the best results), sending a lot of messages offering to be partners, some effort to check if the people you add to skype are available for the week and to do some scheduling, plus some effort to have something to talk about, can get you from 1 to 5 hours of weekly spoken language pratice (with non natives). 

If you want quality results right now (and constant feedback on your problems), then yes, paying is the way to go (although some further effort to try different teachers until you find one that suits you might be required).

May 30, 2015

Hey, Camilo. I see at your profile and you have a lot of followers. But you have no language exchenge partners. It looks awful!

May 30, 2015

Certainly not, but you have to work hard to find a reliable language partner.

Many people just want to socialize or speak their minds about various topics and they don't care about the language aspect at all. 

It takes time, patience, careful research, good manners and it is entirely possible to have good results. Speaking a popular language also helps.

May 30, 2015

There are other hobbies which cost a lot more!

May 31, 2015

It does take hard work. There is certainly a hit and miss rate. Once you pay,  that person is no longer a language partner. That person is a tutor! And that's the objective of your payment. Pay for the attention in your target language. I think it's discussed quite a lot on the internet on the relative advantages and disadvantages of language partners versus tutors. Certainly, that is why I prefer tutoring. There's a certain amount of reliability and attention that you are paying for. Of course,  you need to find a tutor on your wavelength and some tutors are good for different stages of a person's learning.

May 31, 2015
Show more