Bob
How to get the most from an instant lesson!

How long have you been on italki? Have you thought about an Instant Lesson but are not sure what it is about? Here are some pointers to help you.

1. I am worried about my speaking, will my teacher be able to understand me? What if I don't understand my teacher? This is quite normal - even with students who go to lessons at normal schools! Please don't worry, all real teachers are trained to help you and find ways of beating this problem.

2. Make the most of your time. Make a note of the questions you have or what you want to do in your lesson, this will help you to focus and reduce time not used correctly.

3. Be realistic - sometimes it takes a little more time to understand a point. Don't be frightened to say "I'm sorry I don't get it". It doesn't mean you are stupid, dumb or slow. Different people learn things at different speeds. A good teacher will understand and change the explanation or give different examples to help you.

4. Ask questions in the lesson - learning is a 2 way process. Be an active learner not a passive learner. Try giving the teacher a summary of what you just learned. If you can explain it well then there is a good chance that you really understand it.

5. Make notes as you learn, this helps to make the learning process active. After the lesson, look at your notes again. If you realise you didn't understand a point try asking the teacher or ask in the notebook.

6 Be confident - when you have made a list of the things you want to ask or talk about in the lesson, sit quietly for 5 minutes. Imagine yourself with your teacher, asking your questions and listening to the teacher's answers and what the teacher is saying. Imagine that you can understand everything and the teacher has no problem understanding you. If any other questions come up in your rehearsal then make notes and if necessary practise again.

Now you are ready for instant lessons. Go speak!

If you have any questions or other ideas, please put them in the comments.

May 30, 2015 8:01 AM