Arman
Learning languages: Feelings vs Reality

I have recently felt as though the pace of my learning has dropped, but I am pushing through the plateau because I know my negative feelings are actually rooted in my success. Now that I understand why I feel the way I do, I can get over it and keep learning. I believe the following might help explain why some beginners/intermediate learners mistakenly feel that they are slowing down. I would really like to hear your ideas on the subject so reply/send me a message with your thoughts. Thanks

Feeling vs Reality

Feeling: I am learning fewer words
Reality: When I first learnt French words, I would be adding to a very small vocabulary so if I knew 50 words and then learnt another 50 words, I had doubled my knowledge. Now when I learn 50 words, it is only a small percentage of my current vocabulary. In fact, I am still learning at the same pace, it’s just that I know so much more so it feels relatively small.

Feeling: I keep making mistakes
Reality: When I first spoke French, I was shocked at how well I spoke. It was because I was unaware of the errors I made – ignorance was bliss! Now, my knowledge of French is better, I can notice my own mistakes in pronunciation, in conjugation, etc.

Feeling: My study methods are not working
Reality: My study methods are just boring. I need to change things to get them exciting again. I have moved away from watching TV5Monde videos for now, and have started watching Les Simpsons and French cinema (with French subtitles). I still use Memrise, but now I am trying to read Albert Camus’ L’Étranger. The idea of comfortably reading French novels and watching French films has reignited my interest.

Feeling: I keep forgetting what I’ve studied
Reality: I have a lot more to remember. When I knew only 50 words, I might have difficulty recollecting, say, 10 words. Now, that I know about 1000 words, I may forget roughly 100 words. It may feel like a lot more, but it is in fact a smaller/similar percentage.

May 30, 2015 9:06 AM
Comments · 3

I've been using this site to test myself on French verb conjugations: http://www.verb2verbe.com/TestInit.aspx. Hopefully you find it helpful too.

May 31, 2015

by the way, do you know of a website or application like memrize thats tests conjugations and different tenses?

May 30, 2015

best thing for learning is enjoyment, you start of strong in the beginning because it is fun to discover something new, now you are more critical beacuse you know a lot more, sounds like french lit, and french film with french subs is the way to go for now, enjoy the plateau

May 30, 2015